Fortune Inn Valley View, Manipal - 576104, Dist. Udupi, Karnataka, India
Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA) is a constituent unit of Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, and was established in 1986 as a unit of Dr TMA Pai Foundation in partnership with the Hotels Division of ITC Ltd.
Today, WGSHA is India’s premier hotel management institute and it has been ranked 26th among the Best 50 Hospitality and Hotel Management Schools in the world 2020, by CEOWORLD Magazine.
An institute with excellent brand image, three decades of history, highly successful alumni base, supportive staff and welcoming atmosphere, has been ranked
- No. 1 as Supreme Hotel Management Institute in India consecutively since 2007 (GHRDC Hotel Management Institutes Survey 2020)
- No. 2 among Top Hotel Management Colleges in India by The Week – Hansa Research - Best College Survey 2020
- No. 2 among the Best Hotel Management Colleges in India by India Today- MDRA Best Colleges Ranking 2020
- No. 2 among the India’s Top Hotel Management Colleges (Private) in Outlook India’s Top Professional College Rankings 2020
Built and operated within the university campus, the college’s highlights and best practices include
- College is partnered with ITC Hotels which supports the institute by lending its expertise in conducting the courses, continuous update of curriculum, assisting in admissions and provides other support from its hotels
- Accredited by World Association of Chefs’ Societies (WACS)
- Accredited by India International Skill Centre (IISC)
- Certified by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), as a licensed food business operator
- Tie-up with annexed hotel Fortune Inn Valley View, member, ITC's Hotel Group for hands-on training and real-time exposure to the hospitality industry
- International collaborations and flexible pathway options for students. The institute has academic partnerships and collaborations with George Brown College of Applied Arts & Technology, Canada, The SAGES Institute, International, Indonesia, Campus Etoile Academy, Italy, “INTRECCI – Alta formazione di Sala”, Atiken Spence Sri Lanka, Alain Ducasse, Paris, France, etc.
- Public Private Partnership - Student and Faculty Mobility Program with National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT)
- Curriculum Conclaves are held with all stakeholders - Industry, Students, Faculty and Parents and new curriculum has been adopted as part of Outcome Based Education (OBE)
- Maximum number of recruiters among the top brands in India and overseas, including Fortune 500 companies, visiting the campus. Our industry partnerships facilitate internships and placements
- WGSHA has launched Industry-Academia Interface Sessions between industry stalwarts from the top hotel brands and our faculty members to share their views and concerns
- Welcomgroup Entrepreneurial Development Cell (WEDC) has been established in the college to promote entrepreneurship among the students
- Extensive Alumni Engagement and Worldwide Networking. We connect our successful alumni globally with our students via Virtual Lecture Series and hold Alumni Meets regularly in campus and major cities in India.
- Alumni have instituted endowment awards and are continuously associated with the college conducting workshops, being speakers in seminars and by taking guest lectures. Celebrity Chef Vikas Khanna, ‘Distinguished Alumnus’, WGSHA and 6-time Michelin Starred Indian Chef, has donated a Culinary Museum displaying antique utensils and tools worth $ 2 million. Alumni-Meets are held regularly in many cities in India. The museum has been listed as India’s first culinary museum being at WGSHA.
- Simulations, Culinary Boot Camps, Food Enthusiasts Programmes, Wine Appreciation Programmes, Expert Sessions, Food Festivals, Hostel festivals etc. are conducted frequently to add to the students’ learning and exposure.
- To strengthen our students’ skill sets, the college has created a student-run restaurant ‘Classic Café, a student-run pastry shop ‘Ministry of Bakery’ (MOB), and a Gourmet Store of food products in campus.
- Several clubs like Cultural Club, Sports Club, Digital and Social Media Club, Adventure Club, Tourism and Cultural Heritage Club, Gastronomy Club, Mad Over Baking Club, Wine and Spirits Club, Volunteer Service Organization (VSO) have been instituted to facilitate students’ co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Experienced full-time faculty in all departments provide contemporary education. In addition, Adjunct faculty members, working in many international universities of repute, have been appointed to share their expertise and provide their valued inputs to our students
- Faculty and students are continuously engaged in publishing and research work, which is supported by large collection of digital learning resources
- Student and Faculty mobility programmes are undertaken in association with National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT)
- Well-equipped, state-of-the-art Kitchens and Bakeries for contemporary learning experience in culinary arts and bakery, meeting specialized training needs of the students at par with industry standards
- Front Office Training Lab for simulations and hands-on learning with hotel software and mock Guest Room for students practical learning in housekeeping
- Student Training Restaurants and Unique Mock Bar for demonstrations and practical learning
- WGSHA library has a collection of over 11700 books, 700 CD-ROMs and other digital resources on hotel management and allied disciplines. It subscribes to over 50 journals and magazines. Also, it subscribes e-journals and online databases including Scopus, Web of Science, SciVal, Sage, Springer, EBSCO (Hospitality and Tourism) Complete and CAC+HTLC (Culinary Arts Collection and Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection).
- Paperless e-pad examination has been implemented in which students write exams on a tab provided to them
Courses in WGSHA
Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
The 4 years BHM programme aims to provide students a strong base of knowledge, skills and attitudes required for employability/ leadership roles in hospitality and restaurant operations/ management /entrepreneurship
- Gaining knowledge and skills in Food Production, Food & Beverage Service, Front Office, Accommodation Operations, and Management Studies.
- Developing attitudes, contextual knowledge and appropriate techniques; demonstrate, apply and commit the same towards the specific needs of the hospitality industry with due consideration of health and safety, cultural, societal, legal and environment.
- Develop research acumen to identify and solve business problems with the hospitality and management principles learnt, and apply them in day to day work as a member, and as an efficient leader of the team.
Hotels and restaurants, tourism and allied services, retail; mixed used commercial services, aviation, customer care and logistic services, serviced apartments, hospitality services for cruise liners, railways, spa operations, customer care in financial institutions, event management and many such service based commercial ventures including technologically -driven on- line services and products.
Bachelor of Arts (Culinary Arts)
The 3 years B.A. (Culinary Arts) programme aims to provide aspiring culinary professionals a globally benchmarked educational experience and qualification, designed by top chefs from India and focuses on hands-on-training. The classes are handled by proficient chefs and guest chefs from around the world.
- Imparting hands-on, skill oriented intense global curriculum in the field of culinary covering cuisines around the world
- Prepare culinary professionals with requisite attributes for global marketability in the fast-changing culinary industry
The students, at the end of this programme can work as Chefs in hotels, restaurants, cruise liners etc.; pursue higher studies and research, or start their own entrepreneurial venture.
Master of Hotel Management (MHM)
This unique 2 years’ program aims to provide professional and managerial expertise in hotel management with the special emphasis in the domains of Revenue Management, and Sales & Marketing. Students will receive extensive exposure to hotel operations through practice schools to acquire skills, knowledge and attitude to work in hospitality organizations.
This course will focus on specialized areas in hotel management including core areas like Revenue Management or
Sales and Marketing offered as electives.
Build career opportunities in Sales and Marketing or Revenue Management in hotels and allied business organizations. This course also provides pathway to a career in hospitality related research, teaching, and consultancy.
Master of Arts (Indian Cuisine and Food Culture)
This 2 years course will impart a hands-on, skill oriented intense curriculum on Indian Cuisine and Culture
This course will focus on all aspects of Indian cuisine and food culture including cuisines from all over India, Indian sweets, breakfast cookery, healthy cooking, tandoor and volume cookery.
The student, at the end of this programme can work in hotels, restaurants, airlines, cruise liners etc. and may also pursue higher studies and research, or start their own entrepreneurial venture.
Master of Science (Dietetics and Applied Nutrition)
The postgraduate 2 years master’s program in Dietetics and Applied Nutrition is designed to enhance knowledge and skills of those who wish to expand their understanding of human and clinical nutrition and develop critical evaluation skills through an integration of nutrition, dietetics (therapeutic nutrition) and research.
Clinical exposure, hands on training, advanced diet therapy, interaction with medical and paramedical personnel involved in patient care will be our focus. The course enables students to get hands on training in hospital, clinical and community nutrition in close association with dietitians and clinicians.
Apart from these, the students will also be encouraged to involve in other research of their interest, participate in symposiums and conferences both inside and outside the university.
The course in nutrition and dietetics may open up career opportunities in hospitals, nursing homes, sports organizations, Government health departments, companies and factories in addition to hospitality organizations like hotels, cruise lines etc.